Johnson Family

Johnson Family

Monday, July 16, 2012

Preschool Here Lucas Comes!

Lucas started his first day of preschool today! This is his first day of school ever! It is so hard to believe that my little baby boy who is now 2 is going to school. All... By... Himself! I knew he would love it, but I didn't know how I would be able to handle it. 
This little baby is a preschooler!
Man time sure does fly by!
Last week we had an Open House at his school. He got to see his classroom and meet his teacher. He was so excited about his classroom and all of the fun toys they had. Lucas went right in the room and started exploring. He could have cared less if Mom or Dad was there. Ms. Terry was taking pictures of each of the kids and she said that she would wait until Lucas was a little more comfortable before taking his picture. She didn't have to wait. He whipped out his cheesy smile right away for her.

Lucas at Open House!
Such a cheeseball!
Over the weekend we made an "All About Me" poster for Lucas to take to school. It was our first homework assignment for the year. He was very proud of his poster and was so excited to take it to school. We practiced talking about the pictures on his poster so that he could share it and understand the pictures if his teacher asked him. 

Pictures of the family, Lucas playing sports, and his favorite characters.
The poster really does sum Lucas up!
So proud of his "All About Me" poster!


I have been trying to prepare for this moment all summer long so that I would be desensitized when the big day arrived. I would talk with Lucas about it, talk about it with friends and so on. I didn't want to be one of "those moms." You know, the ones who cry.


The traditional first day of school picture!
My little preschooler!


How cute is he?

I talked up school and his new friends that he was going to meet. We talked about how the day was going to go. Mommy and Daddy would take him to school. Grandma would pick him up from school. Then Mommy would get him later today when Mommy was done with work. It all sounded like a great plan. We talked about it all the way to school. I don't know if I was doing this more for him or more for me.

So I was doing really good all morning. I was holding it together. I was excited and nervous for Lucas. Little did I know, it would hit the moment we got out of the car and I saw this image... My eyes started to well up with tears. I pulled it together and sucked it up.

So grown up!

Then we signed Lucas in to school and took him to his class. He walked right in, hung up his backpack and put his snack in the bucket. Then he found his picture for attendance and name plate. Then he headed off to play.
Hanging up his backpack.



At this point we thought we might as well say our goodbyes and head out the door. We gave him kisses and hugs and made our way out. Lucas wasn't too sure at first. As we were walking out of the door, he started to cry. I knew he would cry a little and I knew it wouldn't last long. Which it didn't. His teacher said that he only cried for a few minutes and then had a great day learning and playing with his friends. Also, he had a blast playing with the basketball hoops on the playground and dunking the ball. But once we were out of the door, I became one of "Those Moms" and started to cry. I never imagined how hard it would be. I know it is the perfect place for him and he is going to learn so much, but it is hard to see this little, tiny baby that you held and rocked to sleep turn into a child ready to go to school. We are so proud of you Lucas! You had a great first day of school!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.