Johnson Family

Johnson Family

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Feeding Time!

Now that Lucas has turned 9 months and LOVES eating, his pediatrician suggested that we start letting Lucas eat some of the food that we eat. This means a couple of things... First, Matt and I need to be more aware of what we eat. We need to be more healthy in our choices. No more fast food, junk food, cheap food, etc. (Well, maybe every once in awhile. We will just make sure Lucas has something more healthy to eat.) So today Lucas and I made a trip to Target to see what would be baby appropriate for him to eat. We found some great and yummy food.
1. Peach and pear cups.
2. Applesauce.
3. Vegetable soup. (Yes... My son is a vegetarian. Not by choice, but because I am too scared to give him meat still.) I know it is perfectly fine for him to have meat now, but I just can't bring myself to give it to him.
4. Baby yogurt. Which he loves and devours in seconds flat.

The second, I decided to make Lucas more active in his eating. He has been eating food with his fingers for awhile now, but I haven't given him the chance to use a spoon. That is until... today. Let me give you a little background knowledge about how we feed Lucas, we put him in his highchair, strap him in and TRAP his hands under the tray. I know... It seems a little excessive that we do this, but if we don't his hands go straight to his mouth and it is just too MESSY. Feel free to laugh. It looks pretty funny. Anyway... back to today when I let him use a spoon and allowed him to get a little messy. I would dip the spoon in the applesauce and he would grab it and put it in his mouth. Most of the applesauce dripped down his chin while a few drops went into his mouth. Then he would hold onto the spoon for dear life until I was able to pry it from his grip so that I could add more applesauce. Repeat the process until the whole cup of applesauce was either in his mouth, on his face or on the tray. He loved feeding himself. We will continue to practice this. Even though I have to deal with the mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.