Johnson Family

Johnson Family

Friday, November 14, 2014

The Greatest Great Grandma

On Thursday, heaven gained a new angel. Matt's grandma and the kids' great grandma passed away. We are truly sad for our loss, but glad that she has found peace in heaven and being able to be with her husband again. 

There is a saying, "Because someone we love is in heaven, there is a little heaven in our home." This is very true and how we tried to explain her passing away to Lucas and Macie. We told them that Great Grandma is now in heaven with Great Grandpa and she will be watching over us to make sure we are loved and safe. 

Lucas and Macie were very lucky to get to know her. We were truly blessed that she was part of their lives and their memories. They both had different bonds with her. Lucas enjoyed joking around with her, while Macie was her little buddy. Macie could spend hours with Great Grandma peacefully sitting with her at the nursing home, laying in her bed, doing games on the iPad with her... Just being with her. Lucas enjoyed bringing her the newspaper and exploring her room. They truly enjoyed her company and I know she loved theirs. Her face would light up at the sight of them. 

Not only was she a wonderful great grandma, she was a wonderful grandma. Not only to Matt, but also to me. I know I am not blood related, but she took me in as one of her own. She was a kind a gentle soul and she had a wonderful sense of humor. She was a little sassy, which is where I think Macie got her sassy genes. Every time I see Macie being a little sassy, I will be thinking of her. 

I am happy that their last memory of her is the one from this past Sunday. We went to visit her because we knew she wasn't doing very well. We arrived at lunch time and the nurse brought in red velvet cake. Great Grandma offered Lucas and Macie a bite. Of course, they took advantage of the opportunity and proceeded to eat every last drop. You could tell that it made her happy to see them eating her cake. As we were leaving the kids yelled to her, "Guess what?" "Love you!" 

Here are some of our favorite pictures with her and some of our greatest memories. 

 These are from our trip to New York when Lucas was 8 months old. 
Grandma & Grandpa lived there until just a few years ago, before moving out here. 

This picture was taken shortly after they moved to Arizona. 

 These pictures were taken during my baby shower while I was pregnant with Macie.
Grandma & Grandpa were the happiest when they were surrounded by their family.
With Macie when she was just a few days old.

This is her 90th birthday celebration.
I love her sense of humor and how she was wearing a purple boa!
Easter 2013. 

 These are pictures taken after Great Grandpa's funeral.
Again surrounded by her family. 
Even in the saddest of times, she still had her sassiness and sense of humor!
 Pictures from her  91st birthday celebration.
I will miss that smile.
She always had the biggest smile when she looked at Lucas and Macie.
At Lucas' first preschool performance.
We were blessed that she got to be part of Lucas' and Macie's baptism. 


The best of friends!
 Easter 2014. 
They truly had a special relationship that only the two of them would understand.
 Rest in peace Great Grandma. 
You are truly missed, but we are glad that you are at peace and with Great Grandpa again. 
We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.