There are so many steps to getting two ready for bed. You have to get them in the shower. Yes, we shower in this house. We tried baths, but that is way more work than a shower.Plus there is limited flooding with a shower vs a bath. Getting one of them in the shower is a process. Lucas will reason with you until you both turn blue. "Can I skip tonight? I'll shower tomorrow." "I don't smell." "I want to shower upstairs." "I will wait until Macie is out." So on and so on. Macie on the other hand once you mention it is shower time, she is undressed before you even finish the sentence. She loves taking showers. She comes with her own set of tricks to shower. She loves to take in her dollies and we have to limit her to 5 dollies. Otherwise she will take in 20+. Then sets in the trick of getting her out because we have to dry off every doll before she will come out. Once the dolls are out, she doesn't always want to follow suit. Most of the time you have to step into the shower and drag her out.
Once they are done with the shower, you have to dry them off and get them in their pjs. Why is putting two children in pjs so hard. I feel by the time I get them in pjs, I have ran a marathon. Probably because I have. Macie and Lucas like to run around the house naked and have me chase after them. It is so great... Not! Finally after capturing one and getting them dressed, I need to capture the other one and dress them. It probably looks hysterical from an outside perspective.
Finally they are dressed and we are almost there. Next is brushing teeth. Lucas is pretty good about brushing his teeth. His struggle comes with not putting too much toothpaste on his toothbrush. Macie does pretty good with brushing her teeth, but she likes to bite the toothbrush so it is difficult to get her back teeth.
Then comes brushing Macie's hair. Holy moly... I don't know what that little girl does to her hair during the day, but it so tangly. Luckily, using conditioner, detangling spray and a special hairbrush eventually I can get all of the tangles out. But she hates having her hair brushed and it is the gran prix all over again. I have to catch her and say we are playing beauty shop.
Finally at last it is time to walk upstairs and put them in their beds... Wait no. There is a process to getting them upstairs. I need to make sure I have all 3 of Macie's blankets. Lucas needs to have his big Mickey. Both need their drinks and iPads. Lucas needs his bedtime snack (bread or granola bar). Once I have carried up all of those 10+ things we are then ready to go into Lucas' or Macie's room (depending on the night) for two bedtime stories. One that is read by me and one that is read by Lucas. It is probably my most favorite time of the night is listening to Lucas reading a story to Macie. He reads it like a teacher would. He says the words on the page and then fans the picture so we can see it. Then sometimes he will ask her about what is happening in the story.
Then it is time for them to say goodnight to each other and go to their separate rooms. I put on a show on the iPad for Macie (usually Mickey or Doc) and then I put on Chip and Dale for Lucas on his iPad. Go ahead and judge that they watch shows on their iPads at night. Doesn't bother me. They like to watch a little tv as they go to sleep and it works for them and us. Macie typically falls asleep before the show is even halfway through while Lucas will watch the whole Chip and Dale tv episode all the while laughing at how they are torturing Donald Duck. He does have the best laugh. Eventually the laughing dies down and I know he is out.
By the time I get both of them asleep I feel like I have worked a full day just from 6:30-8:30. At that point I am ready to pass out myself. The day is done!
So I truly enjoy the bedtime routine because it is so easy... Said No Coaches Wife Ever!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.